Monday, December 19, 2011

Cugini

.

Lady Steed ordered Ravioli ($10), "ricotta filled. served with creamy pesto or tomato sauce. I took the Fettuccini Alfredo ($11), "grilled chicken breast, homemade creamy alfredo." I only had two bites of Lady Steed's, so my only real impression is the overwhelming one of Holy cow! they use really fresh tomatoes! (Check the comments for her additions.) As for mine, the sauce was unremarkable but very good. The chicken however was remarkable in every way. The finest chicken I can remember eating in ages. It's amazing what a bit of grilling can do. And when done perfectly? Amazing! Utterly delicious.

We also shared a Pizza Margherita ($9), "tomato sauce, mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil." And it may be the first time in my life that when my tongue touched the bottom of the crust I was thrilled by the flavor. Sure, it was probably just oil, but it was delicious. (As were the noncrust portions of the pizza as well.)

My main beef with (good) Italian food is that I get too excited and eat it too fast. No matter how I try to slow down, I end up swallowing rather than savoring.

I'm pleased to have found a fine and reasonably priced Italian place within walking distance. And that does not require as much reservation-planning as a certain other Solano Italian restaurant we haven't managed to get to yet . . . .

No comments: